The online journey initiated in 2020 by a group of international producers will continue in 2021 in Brussels. A few places are open for new participants!
Created in 2016 by the International Centre for Training in the Performing Arts (CIFAS), the Producers’ Academy is organised in the frame of Kunstenfestivaldesarts in Brussels.
A group of selected international producers take part in a programme of conferences, workshops and peer-to-peer learning sessions, raising questions about their practice in the international cultural sector nowadays:
How do we understand the different contexts of international production?
How do we go beyond the distribution model of touring and develop more meaningful relationships?
How do we plan for more inclusion in the field of arts and culture?
To what extent can we tackle cross-border and regional financial inequalities?
How do we work across borders and cultures, taking into account environmental issues?
How do we produce in a world that is turning more and more towards nationalism and conservatism?
How do we combine and balance private and professional realities?
The Producers’ Academy increasingly pays attention to the notion of care, one of the fundamental concepts of feminism, and explores attentive and responsive practices, social and sustainable approaches in order to potentially invent new, adapted and fairer models of governance.
By meeting with experts and practitioners, participants will approach practical aspects of international collaborations - administrative, legal and financial issues - as well as conceptual aspects, questioning innovative production models that reinvent our global cultural landscape.
The 2020 edition has been replaced by an online programme between May 2020 and March 2021. In May 2021, we propose to the same group to continue the sessions during a 4-day face-to-face meeting in Brussels. The group will be joined by new international participants.
Applications will be open soon. Deadline for applications: 14 April 2021.
The Producers Academy is a project by CIFAS, On the Move, MoDul and Kunstenfestivaldesarts.
Chrissie Faniadis, Board member of Fresh Arts Coalition Europe (Sweden)
Speakers, sessions and programme
The programme will be published in April 2021.
Do not hesitate to check our previous programmes to have an idea about the format of the Producers’ Academy.
26 > 29 May 2021 (full days - schedule to be confirmed soon)
Attendance is required for the entire programme, including evening performances.
The Producers’ Academy will take place at La Bellone, Rue de Flandre, 46, 1000 Brussels.
CRITERIA OF ELIGIBILITY
The Producers’ Academy is open to:
- People from all nationalities
- People who have at least five years of experience as a producer* in the performing arts sector** (particularly in relation to the international development of their organisation, company, association etc.)
- Producers/Cultural entrepreneurs who have developed or are in the process of developing innovative way(s) to support creation in an international dimension and/or with a trans-sectorial approach (performing arts and social or feminist engagement, performing arts and climate change issues etc.)
- The event will be held exclusively in English. Therefore, participants need to be able to understand, communicate and work in English.
* Producer: supervises, supports, follows an artist or a collective/company
** Performing arts: Are excluded from this definition opera- and music-only related projects
If you have any question regarding your eligibility, please get in touch with Mathilde: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will have to be submitted to CIFAS until 14 April 2021, including:
- A CV (maximum 2 pages including a short 5 lines' biography)
- A note relating your experience, reflexions and questions as a producer as well as your expectations from the Producers’ Academy.
Participation is free of charge (Full programme + lunches during the four days + 2 performances at Kunstenfestivaldesarts).
We do not take in charge travel and accommodation costs*.
* Limited travel support can be considered on an exceptional basis.
* We can send official invitation letters to those who wish to activate ways to support their participation costs. Our partner On the Move can provide advice and guidance about available mobility support programmes for selected participants.
The activities will be organised in compliance with the sanitary measures in force at the date of the event. These measures will be precised sooner to the event. Should you not be able to travel, please let us know as soon as possible.
Free of charge, under application (see conditions above).
Deadline for applications : 11.04.2021